on paper

After being a little bit frustrated with the way the Roots pieces were ending up, I decided to just leave them for a while and make something that was just pretty.

white forest WIP

And a new white doodle piece was born. This is just a little sneak peek. The full piece should hopefully be done in the next few days.

I’ve been working on this idea of roots, using the cube and square root pages in the old math text. I thought I’d layer some leaf prints in acrylic and then add some embroidered elements.

Roots - phase one

Given the fact that there are only three of these pages, I was a little worried that I’d totally screw it all up, but I made the decision that I just had to go for it. The prints went pretty well. Some parts I like better than others.

I’ve added some tendrils to the bottom and sides of the oak leaf piece. I have to step away from it for a while, because I think I’m over-thinking it (and I know this isn’t the best photo). It feels like it’s missing something, I just haven’t figured out what yet. Of course, I have another idea for the maple leaf. I don’t think I can ever have just one thing going on in my mind at once.

yellow table -detail

I used the data on this page, of compound interest on $1 at 3% – 8%, to create the stitch pattern. All I did was graph the curves.

Then I resorted the data to graph it flipped across the vertical axis.

I thought the tails would be too difficult to achieve on paper. That it wouldn’t be clean enough, so when I transferred it, I removed them.

yellow table

I am pretty pleased with the result. There is some wonkiness in the areas with all the line crossings, but overall, it turned out well.

There are some other pages with data tables that I have plans for. One in particular, a life expectancy chart, is begging for something special. I’m coming up with a plan where I scan the page and work out the pattern digitally instead of tracing it onto the reverse. I want to be careful simply because there is only one page.

green K3,3 complete

I’ve had this idea for stitching up the graph of K3,3 in my old math textbook for a while now. As usual, I’m not 100% happy with the final product.  It needs to be centered more, and a couple of the graphs look a bit wonky. In fact, the more I look at it, the more mistakes I can see. But overall, it’s a good effect. I’ve got some other graphs in mind to do as well.

white on paper #3

Finally got off my butt and finished the third white piece on the old math book. It had been sitting a while, with just the leaves to complete. I’ve got other ideas in my head.

blue experiment

One of those ideas, is to punch a grid on the paper and then fill it in as I see fit. It’s not quite there — if I had planned it a little more, the section in the middle would be symmetric. Still, there’s something to the idea.

Follow
  • See my photos See my photos
  • RSS feed RSS feed
Categories
Archives