As soon as I read about Julie at button button’s August sampler featuring french knots, I knew I would have to join in. We had a decent vacation planned (that involved a long car ride) and I knew I’d probably have some time to do some embroidery, and I knew I wanted a project that was pretty portable (and well-defined).
While on vacation and in the car, I did about two sections of the sampler (the yellow and the red). But what’s really helped is putting the piece in my embroidery stand. Once I did that, the progress has really picked up. What also helped was picking a sturdy needle. I tried my smaller, thinner needles (they are 9s I think) to start and that was not a good choice at all. I bent about four of them on the red section alone. The yellow section used three strands of floss in one shade of yellow, and then I went back with one strand in a slightly lighter shade. I ended up slightly bending the needle by the end. The red section uses three strands of red and one strand of pink and the amount of pulling to get the floss through the muslin is what did in the majority of my needles. Switching (and I don’t know what size needle it is, but maybe a 7?) really made my life easier. I haven’t bent this needle yet.
I’m not sure that I’ll get done before the end of the month, but I am definitely going to try! I’m pretty much winging it — picking colors as I go along, and hoping that it all works out. (You’ll notice a slight color change in the purple section — I ran out of floss in the shade I was using and had to move to another one that was closeish to it. I don’t mind, I like being relaxed about this process.) I love making french knots. And I love doing it over and over and over again. It’s been really soothing to come home to this project and work on a section. I don’t have to think too much about it, I don’t have to worry about ripping a one of a kind piece of vintage paper and working on it lets my brain (which has been working overtime) chill out.